Hold Fast

Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you--unless you believed in vain. (1 Corinthians 15:1-2, ESV)

Name:
Location: Cochrane, Alberta, Canada

Monday, August 22, 2005

Big Words Made Easy: An Introduction…

I’m a guy who reads a lot, and I have an unfortunate habit of picking up nifty multi-syllable words along the way. I come from an Army background, and the military practically has its own language; and I love reading theology. Sadly enough, this often means that words like “logistical,” “supralapsarian,” “geo-political,” and “imputation” creep into normal conversation.

Among others, this annoys my wife, Erin, greatly, because she often misses what I’m talking to her about. The sad thing is, I really should know better... See, my lovely wife, being a nurse, often falls prey to the same thing, using words that I don’t understand. The medical profession has its own lingo, and lots of big, intimidating words.

Even worse, asking Erin (or any other nurse!) to explain their lingo carries its own risks! If you don’t know what I mean, and run into some medical professional using such delicate and meaningful words like “disimpacting,” “suppository,” or “colostomy”, I humbly suggest you refrain from asking! I’ll never forget one friend of mine, a nursing student, who, in an obvious state of excitement, told her husband and I over supper (with considerable glee!) all she had learned about “pinworms” that day. A pleasant meal, to be sure…

So a challenge for anyone involved in the theological field, as I hope to be shortly, is to communicate big Biblical words and terms in a manner understandable to the average person. And all of you unfortunates who actually read my blog will suffer through my attempts to learn this delicate art….

Today, I’m kicking off a series on theological terms. Words like “justification,” “sanctification,” “imputation,” “original sin,” and others carry a lot of meaning and are very important to a solid understanding of the Christian faith. Many non-denominational, evangelical Christians, however, don’t have a good grasp on what these words mean. I didn’t for years… So, this is my humble attempt to help.

I will start with the word “justification,” in my next post.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooo I like learning big words! This shall prove to be very exciting.

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its a great idea to explain some of the big words that so often are said but not really explained.
P.S I am smiling. There are some interesting words that go along with our profession...

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i.e. flatus?

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home